Friday 9 December 2011

Umbrella

I wrote this for an assignment in school. I kinda like it. My English teacher liked it too. Except for the fact that it has a negative ending. Sorry. 

Tears stream down my cheeks, but to a passerby, it probably looks like the raindrops falling from the sky and onto my face. Even though I can't bear the rain, I feel too stiff to open the umbrella in my hand and shelter myself under it. Only my legs move mechanically, walking to my mother's funeral.
The umbrella was my mothers. It is beautiful. Almost like a work of art. Even though it is plain.
It is blue. Bright blue. My mother used to say that blue makes her feel calm.It doesn't help me much now. But it was her last gift to me. She gave it to me two days ago, just twenty hours before her heart attack; and no matter what, I will never let it go.
The drizzle turns to cats and dogs, and I have no no option left. Somehow, I manage to move my hands and open it. I continue walking. The blue shadow that falls on my face does make me feel calm. In a funny way.
Suddenly, the wind blows and the umbrella is jerked out of my hand and it falls to the floor. I scream. I can't let go of it. I run out to it, but before I can reach it, the wind blows again. No matter how fast I try to be, the wind is always faster. It is as if he is teasing me; trying to add to my anguish. It is as if he had a bet with the clouds, vowing to separate me from the latest memory of my mother, just to prove its superiority.
The wind, which I have loved for the fifteen years of my life has turned evil in my eyes. 
I go further and further away from the road I am supposed to take. I am worried I will get late for the funeral. But I try to beat the wind. Not only does it blow away my mother's gift, but also puts resistance in my way, blowing my hair across my face and slowing me down.
The umbrella reaches the end of the valley and gets stuck on a rick. I sigh with relief. The rock won't let it fall. I reach for the handle and as before, the wind gets there earlier, blowing it off the edge. Without another thought, I leap forward and grasp the handle. A leap of faith. And I fall, joining my mother for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment